Skip to main content

Non-residential properties

See the fees and charges for Western Water services at non-residential properties

Water usage

In 2017/18 all non-residential drinking water usage is charged at $2.3875 per 1000 litres.

Service charges

All properties, including vacant land, that have services available to them are charged service fees. These fees are split across three bills each financial year.

2017/18 charges:

20mm service
$229.90 per year
25mm service
$359.23 per year
32mm service $588.57 per year
40mm service $919.65 per year
50mm service $1436.97 per year
80mm service $3678.68 per year
100mm service $5747.97 per year
150mm service $12,932.98 per year
All properties $530.64 per year

Melbourne Water's Waterway and Drainage Charge

Melbourne Water's Waterways and Drainage Charge applies to all properties within their Waterways and Drainage Boundary. Western Water collects the charge on behalf of Melbourne Water. The charges are split over three bills each financial year. However, those properties who do not receive Western Water services are charged the full amount once per year.

2017/18 charges:

Non-residential properties inside the Urban Growth Boundary
$126.48 per year
All properties outside the Urban Growth Boundary $54.32 per year


Melbourne Water uses the funds to:

  • Improve river health through replanting, weed removal and erosion control
  • Provide grants to property owners and community groups to improve our waterways
  • Manage and improve larger regional drains
  • Operate and improve flood management and flood warning systems
  • Provide stormwater and drainage systems to service urban growth
  • Monitor and investigate waterways
  • Protect and improve water quality through improved stormwater management
  • Increase community and stakeholder engagement and involvement in programs
  • Increase knowledge and awareness of river health and flood management issues through education programs.

For more information, visit the Melbourne Water website.



Landlords and tenants - who pays?

It is the property owner's responsibility to ensure the water account is paid.

On request, Western Water can address water bills directly to the commercial tenant on the understanding that the property owner is ultimately responsible should the tenant fail to pay. 

Vacant land

If your property is not yet connected to our water, recycled water and/or sewer service, but is able to access the pipe network, the property is assessed as a service property under Sections 144 and 259 of the Water Act 1989 and service charges apply.

Fact sheet: Service charges on your vacant land158KB

Facebook Updates

Email Notifications & Updates