If you're experiencing temporary or long-term financial difficulties or having trouble paying your water bill, we can help.
We understand that financial difficulties can happen to anyone. For example you may have experienced:
- a loss of or change in income
- a serious illness, disability or death in the family
- a separation, divorce or other family crisis
- other personal problems contributing to financial hardship.
A member of our Customer Programs team will work with you to help make paying your water bill easier. You may need more time to pay, a different way to pay or advice on how to reduce your water usage.
How we can help
Financial Counselling services are available free of charge and are supported by Western Water on the basis of counsellor expertise, independence and confidentiality.
Call our Customer Programs team on 1800 093 558 to find your nearest financial counsellor.
Utility Relief Grants
The Utility Relief Grant Scheme (URGS) is a government program that helps people that are unable to pay their electricity, gas or water bills due to special circumstances.
Eligible customers can get up to $500 towards their water bill and other utilities. To check if you're eligible visit the Department of Health & Human Services website.
To apply for a URGS:
- Call Western Water's Customer Programs team on 1800 093 558 to request an application form. Please let us know if you need help filling in the form.
- Send the form to the Department of Health & Human Services in the reply-paid envelope before the due date shown on the form.
- The Department of Health & Human Services will review your application. Please wait up to eight weeks for a written response from the Department of Health & Human Services and Western Water. Western Water will put your water account on hold during this time.
With WaterTight a qualified plumber visits your home, conducts a water audit, identifies and fixes problems (such as dripping taps) and recommends water-saving measures.
You may be eligible for a WaterTight visit if you:
- are registered in our Customer Support Program
- are deemed by Western Water to be financially vulnerable or at risk of financial hardship
- find it difficult to perform basic retrofitting such as replacing a tap washer
- are identified as a customer with special circumstances, or:
- have experienced issued with high water usage.
To request a WaterTight visit, complete the online booking request form. We'll then contact you to arrange a time to visit your property.