Permanent Water Saving Rules are common sense rules that encourage the efficient use of water to avoid wasting this precious resource.
Permanent Water Saving Rules are designed to reflect the value that the community places on water.
The rules apply to all towns in the Western Water service region. They don't apply if you are using spring or bore water, recycled water, grey water or rainwater collected in a tank that is not supplemented by Western Water.
Fact Sheet: Permanent Water Saving Rules1MB
Gardens and lawns (residential and commercial)
- A watering can, bucket or hand-held hose fitted with a trigger nozzle can be used at any time.
- Watering systems, including sprinklers, can be used between 6:00pm and 10:00am.
A bucket, a hand-held hose fitted with a trigger nozzle or a high pressure cleaning device can be used at any time.
Fountains and water features
Fountains and water features must recirculate water.
A high pressure cleaning device, a bucket or a hand-held hose fitted with a trigger nozzle may only be used:
- In response to an accident, fire, health hazard or other emergency
- To clean staining on a surface once per season (i.e. summer, autumn, winter and spring)
- In the course of construction or renovations.
Public gardens and lawns
- A watering can, bucket or hand held-hose fitted with a trigger nozzle can be used at any time.
- Watering systems, including sprinklers, can be used between 6:00pm and 10:00am. They must be fitted with a rain or soil moisture sensor.
Swimming pools and spas
Swimming pools and spas may be topped up or filled at any time.
Installing new grass? Consider a 28-day exemption through the Warm Season Grass website. Warm season grass varieties such as Couch, Buffalo and Kikuyu are eligible.
Sports grounds, gardens of significance or people who believe they will be adversely affected by Permanent Water Saving Rules may apply for an exemption:
Exemption Application Form177KB
Garden of Significance - Water Use Plan Application175KB
Sports grounds- Water Use Plan Application209KB
Fact Sheet: Sports grounds163KB
Fact sheet: Offences and penalties177KB
Permanent Water Saving Plan for Western Water190KB
Western Water's Water Restrictions By-Law297KB
Western Water's Drought Response Plan4MB