The principles and practices of sustainability are incorporated throughout everything that Western Water does. This is based on a belief that all people, as individuals and communities, must play a part in protecting and preserving our finite water resources.
Western Water Environmental Policy - August 2008
To set out Western Water’s environmental purpose and values in line with the requirements of the International Standards Organisation (ISO) 14001, National and State developments.
Western Water’s vision is “to be a leading service provider working with our community towards a sustainable future".
Western Water, as the provider of water supply, wastewater and recycled water services, has a fundamental role in environmental health. Western Water aims to provide its services on an environmentally sustainable basis for the benefit of current and future generations.
Western Water will be a leader in environmental management and act at all times in an environmentally responsible manner to reflect community values. To achieve this Western Water will:
Interact with the community:
- Work with the community and customers on environmental issues regarding water resources and catchment management.
- Lead and inform customers on the importance of environmental management including the promotion of water conservation throughout the community.
- Actively participate in regional planning, and pursue outcomes that will ensure sustainable water and wastewater issues are always considered.
Deliver sustainable services:
- Meet and where possible exceed all applicable environmental laws and regulatory requirements and any other environmentally related requirements to which Western Water subscribes.
- Develop strategies to meet ongoing regulatory needs.
- Maintain and operate our supply system to ensure adherence to sound environmental practices.
- Conduct environmental assessments for major projects and consult with the community and other stakeholders.
- Through a documented Environmental Management System (EMS) develop objectives and targets to monitor performance.
- Actively identify and manage environmental risks and adverse impacts and respond immediately to environmental incidents.
- Develop strategies through environmental management programs that address new projects and activities and drive continuous improvement.
Empower our people:
- Communicate through training and periodic communiqué to staff and contractors their responsibility for environmental management and Western Water’s commitment to sound environmental practices.
- Expect all staff to prevent and avoid pollution and adopt the EPA's waste hierarchy.
- Maintain an Environment Committee to develop and monitor implementation of sustainable measures across the business.
- Encourage staff participation in community environmental projects.
The ultimate aim is to progress towards sustainable development and to effectively integrate Environmental, Quality and Safety management systems.
The implementation of this policy will be developed by management and used as a platform from which to launch our Environmental Management System in line with the ISO 14001 model.