Maybe you need more time to pay, a different way to pay or advice on how to reduce your water usage.
Call us to speak to a Customer Solutions team member. They can work with you to help make paying your water bill easier.
You won’t need to make any decisions straight away. You might like more time to think about the choices available to you or maybe you have your own support person you’d like to talk to first. That’s no problem. Just let your Customer Solutions team member know and they can arrange a time to call you back, after you’ve had time to consider your options.
We can refer you to independent financial counsellors who can give you advice to help you pay your bills. The counsellors are free and confidential. This service is available for all our customers.
Call our Customer Solutions team on 1800 093 558 to find your nearest financial counsellor.
Customer Support Services
No matter what situation you are facing, there are lots of different services available that can give you information and support. Some of these support groups are listed below.
- Domestic Violence Resource Centre: phone (03) 8346 5200 or visit their website.
- Safe Steps - 24/7 immediate assistance: phone 1800 015 188 or visit their website.
- 1800 Respect - 24/7 counselling and support service: phone 1800 737 732 or visit their website.
- Switchboard - volunteer support for the LGBTIQA+ community: phone 1800 184 527 or visit their website.
- MensLine - 24/7 telephone and online counselling: phone 1300 789 978 or visit their website.
- Good Shepherd Youth & Family Service: 354 Main Road West, St Albans. Phone (03) 8312 8800 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit their website.
- Sunbury Community Health Centre: 12-28 Macedon St, Sunbury. Phone (03) 9744 4455 or email email@example.com or visit their website.
- Salvation Army Emergency Relief: 27-37 Anderson Road, Sunbury. Phone (03) 9744 2095 or visit their website.
Utility Relief Grants
The Utility Relief Grant Scheme (URGS) is a government program that helps people with paying their electricity, gas or water bills. The URGs is income tested.
Eligible customers can get up to $650 towards their water bill and other utilities. To check if you qualify, visit the Department of Health & Human Services website.
To apply for an URGS:
- Call Western Water's Customer Solutions team on 1800 093 558
- The Department of Health & Human Services will review your application.
- Please wait up to 12 weeks for a written response from the Department of Health & Human Services and Western Water. Your Western Water account will be put on hold during this time.
With WaterTight a qualified plumber visits your home to identify and fix problems (such as dripping taps). They can also offer advice on how to save water.
During the visit the plumber can make some minor repairs, such as fixing a leaking tap but they can’t do large repairs, emergency works or clean up leaks.
You may be eligible for a WaterTight visit if you:
- are registered in our Customer Support Program
- find it difficult to perform basic repairs, such as replacing a tap washer
- are identified as a customer with special circumstances, or:
- have experienced issues with high water usage.
To request a WaterTight visit, complete the online booking request form. We'll then contact you to arrange a time to visit your property.
If you are eligible, we will ask that you ensure a safe working environment for the plumber.
Concession card holders
If you hold a valid pension or healthcare card you may be eligible to claim a concession on your account.
Claim a concession online or call our Customer Service team on 1300 650 422
Large family support
If you have a large family and are struggling to meet payments, you may be entitled to a reduced water bill.
Contact our Customer Solutions team on 1800 093 558 to see if you qualify.
Water leak allowance
If you’ve had an undetectable* leak repaired by a licensed plumber, you may qualify for a leak allowance.
The water leak allowance will only be up to 50% of the excess usage and the maximum amount you can receive is $1000. You will also need to show evidence of the repair by giving us a copy of the invoice issued by the licensed plumber. The allowance can be claimed once every five years and special conditions apply to qualify in line with the Victorian Water Industry Guidelines.
To find out more about our water leak allowance, call our Customer Solutions team on 1800 093 558.
* According to the Victorian Water Industry Guidelines, an undetectable leak is defined as a leak that:
- Cannot be seen under normal inspection conditions
- Usually requires special assistance to locate
- Typically comes from a burst pipe underground, under concrete or underneath a building where there is no visible sign of water loss
- Could not have been reasonably detected prior to Western Water issuing an invoice. For example, water leaks in paddocks, yards or in gardens are not considered hidden as the leak can generally be detected (i.e. green patch of grass, damp ground).
The definition also includes customers who have a disability that would prevent them from detecting the leak.
Our Customer Solutions team will always prioritise your safety and privacy and can offer personalised options to support you.
You will only need to tell your story once and we will give you as much time as you need to consider your options.
Call 1800 093 558 to speak to a team member confidentially.
Rebate for properties used for a community benefit
Organisations that use land for the community’s benefit can get a rebate off their water bills.
To be eligible, the property must be "predominantly used" for one of the following purposes:
- by a charitable organisation for charitable purposes,
- by a not-for-profit organisation (NFP) providing or promoting outdoor sporting, recreational, cultural or other similar outdoor activities for such purposes,
- by a war veterans’ organisation, and
- by a public statutory body as a public open space or a park.
For more information on eligibility, and to apply, visit the Statement Revenue Office Victoria website.