Western Water replaced a section of the water main along Barkly Street, between Macedon Street and Shields Street.
Cost: $440,000 approximately
Expected Completion Date: Completed
What did this project involve?
- Replacement of an old water main with 1.1km of new 100mm pipe.
- Construction was in the road pavement on the eastern side of Barkly Street, from Macedon Street to the Brook Street roundabout, and then from Brook Street to Shields Street.
- Project is funded as part of Western Water’s Water Main Replacement Program.
Why was this project needed?
- Replacing the existing water main with a new pipe will improve service reliability and lessen the risk of water main leaks and bursts.
- It reduces maintenance and repair costs to the water pipe network.
- Construction commenced mid-July 2018 and was completed mid-October 2018.
Was the water supply be impacted?
To minimise disruption to the water supply, properties were supplied with a temporary water service for a short period of time. The contractor, DKM Utility Services, contacted property owners and tenants to arrange a suitable time to transfer their service.
If a temporary supply could not be provided, the water service was shut down briefly and property owners were provided with advance written notice of when the shut down would take place.