See the fees and charges for Western Water services at residential properties
Residents are charged for water based on the average amount of water they use each day. Class A recycled water, where available, is charged at a flat rate.
If a tenant lives in a residential property that is individually metered, they pay for water usage.
|Block 1: 0 - 440 litres per day||$1.8987 per 1000 litres|
|Block 2: 441 - 880 litres per day||$2.5192 per 1000 litres|
|Block 3: over 880 litres per day||$3.9366 per 1000 litres|
|Class A recycled water (where available)||$1.8987 per 1000 litres|
Service availability charges
All properties, including vacant land, that have water, recycled water and/or sewerage services available to them are charged service fees.
These fees are split across three bills each financial year.
|20mm service (the most common service)||$207.81 per year|
|25mm service||$342.52 per year|
|All properties||$478.86 per year|
Class A recycled water (where available)
|20mm service (the most common service)||$115.63 per year|
|25mm service||$180.72 per year|
Western Water Efficiency Rebate
In recent years, Western Water has offered an Efficiency Rebate to residential water usage customers as a result of delivering our services as efficiently as possible.
In 2020/21, we have reduced our fixed water and sewerage service availability charges to pass on these savings directly to property owners, and the Efficiency Rebate will no longer be applied to those bills.
For residential tenants, an Efficiency Rebate continues to apply. A rebate amount of up to $105.51 will be spread across the three bills issued during the year. A credit up to the full bill total will apply for any bills less than the rebate amount.
Melbourne Water's Waterway and Drainage Charge
Melbourne Water's Waterways and Drainage Charge applies to all properties within their Waterways and Drainage Boundary.
Western Water collects the charge on behalf of Melbourne Water. The charges are split over three bills each financial year. However, those properties who do not receive Western Water services are charged the full amount once per year.
|Residential properties inside the Urban Growth Boundary||$104.32 per year|
|All properties outside the Urban Growth Boundary||$57.27 per year|
Melbourne Water uses the funds to:
- Improve river health through replanting, weed removal and erosion control
- Provide grants to property owners and community groups to improve our waterways
- Manage and improve larger regional drains
- Operate and improve flood management and flood warning systems
- Provide stormwater and drainage systems to service urban growth
- Monitor and investigate waterways
- Protect and improve water quality through improved stormwater management
- Increase community and stakeholder engagement and involvement in programs
- Increase knowledge and awareness of river health and flood management issues through education programs.
For more information, visit the Melbourne Water website.
To see what work Melbourne Water is undertaking near you, click here.
Landlords and tenants - who pays?
In general, landlords of residential properties pay:
- service charges
- Melbourne Water Waterways Charge
- 'special meter read' fees, often charged when Western Water is notified of a tenancy change
- water usage charges, if the property is not individually metered.
Tenants pay water usage charges if they occupy a property that is individually metered.