Skip to main content


Easements are parts of land that Greater Western Water has legal permission to access for the maintenance or installation of pipes or other assets.

If you have an easement on your property, it will be registered on your land title.

Building over or near an easement

You must obtain permission from us to build a structure within one metre of a Greater Western Water underground mains asset, or where you are building on an easement. A structure may include:

  • Sheds
  • Paving
  • Carports
  • Fences
  • Retaining walls
  • Garden beds
  • Trees
  • Landscaping
  • Deckings
  • Verandas
  • Tanks
  • Pools
  • Other structures built, placed, installed, laid or constructed.

Building over or near an easement must be accordance to the CUSTOMER GUIDE TO BUILDING OVER AN EASEMENT OR ASSET(3MB)

Application fees: 2022/23

$153.15 per application

How to apply

  1. Download and send us an Application for works over assets and/or easements form
  2. A quote with payment options will be issued to you via your preferred email address as provided in the application.

See our current application processing timeframes.

More Information