Want some waterwise fun in your classroom? We offer a range of free presentations and resources for primary schools in our service region.
Our popular Prep School Starter Program will be entering its fifteen successful year, ready to welcome Preps to primary school and introduce them to important water saving messages and to establish lifelong habits of drinking water for health.
A trained educator will provide a 45-minute presentation, at a time that best suits your timetable.
There are two options available:
- The Water Cycle: Students will learn about the Water Cycle, from precipitation to clouds to the sun and rain. They will play interactive games and sing songs, and participate in an interactive version of our story about Donna the Water Droplet as she journeys through the different stages of rain.
- Water and Wellbeing: Students will learn about Water Cycle science, participate in a gentle Water Cycle themed yoga session and a calming Water Cycle visualisation. They will learn simple tools to help them stay healthy, calm and happy, and the importance of drinking water for their health and wellbeing
The students will also meet Western Water’s mascot, Sammy the Snake and his friend Frances the Frog, and are invited to join Sammy’s Waterwise Club.
Each Prep student receives a free reusable drink bottle.
What others are saying about the program
“This is an excellent program! Very informative and engaging for Prep students.” Macedon Primary School
“The program is very interactive and suitable for all Prep students. They loved acting out the water cycle. The presenter was lovely and really great with the students. Providing everyone with a water bottle has been a great addition to my classroom. The students have them on their desk to keep hydrated throughout the day. Thank you Western Water!” Balliang East Primary School
“The best thing about the presentation was the opportunity for the students to role-play the water cycle. We have looked forward to and always enjoy these incursions. Thank you for this terrific experience.” Holy Cross Primary School
How to book
- complete an online booking form
- call 0404 865 597, or:
- email email@example.com
Incursions for Prep - Grade 6
All of our free incursions can be conducted face-to-face or online using your preferred video conferencing platform. Make a booking or contact us for more information.
The incursion program includes free 45-60 minute presentations provided by experienced educators. The presentations include:
- strong links to the curriculum
- interactive activities
- access to online materials including colouring and activity sheets
- engaging pre and post lesson materials.
- NEW The Water Cycle: Yoga and Mindfulness (Prep - Grade 6): Students will experience the water cycle through gentle yoga movements, and embark on a guided journey visualising themselves as a rain drop. This new presentation is aimed at calming the mind and engaging students through different learning techniques.
- The Water Cycle (Prep - Grade 4): Students engage in a fun role-play to explore the water cycle, from precipitation to clouds to the sun and rain. They will also hear the story of Donna the Water Droplet as she journeys through the different stages of rain.
- Water Wise @ Home (Grades 1 - 2): Students will work together to explore water conservation. Using fun props taken from a lucky dip, they will discover fascinating facts and tips about water saving in and around homes.
- Water Wise @ School (Grades 3 - 6): Are you a SWEP school (participating in the Schools Water Efficiency Program) or want to become one? Explore Western Water’s sponsored program and real-time data through engaging mathematical activities including data recording and analysis, graphing, comparisons and predicting.
- Sustainable Practices: Learn new skills to become a Citizen Scientist (Grades 3 - 6): Students will investigate climate change and explore past, present and future water use and analyse ways in which individuals and the wider community could improve water sustainability. Students will also learn about local and global environmental programs to support water sustainability and develop hands-on citizen scientist skills to test the health of a local waterway.
- From Reservoir to You (Grades 3 - 6): Students will learn how we collect, treat and deliver water to homes in the 21st century. They will also see a demonstration of how the purification process works and work in teams to build a working example of a water filter.
- Water for Health (Grades 3 - 6): Students follow the journey of water through our bodies using a human model and discover why water is the healthiest drink. They will also learn about the different foods that contribute to water consumption and overall health.
What others are saying
“All students were immediately engaged and willing to participate. They loved being a part of the mini-play as everyone was involved and had something to do. Very informative and it was great to see that they had retained some of that knowledge from kindergarten.” - Sky, Pentland Primary School
“In this very busy world we live in, it is great to see Western Water developing a program that allows students time to relax and enjoy yoga and mindfulness, while still learning.” - Trish, Our Lady of Mt Carmel Parish Primary School
“The presenter was fantastic and maintained student interest and engagement throughout the lesson.” - Michelle, Gisborne Primary School.
"The presentation fitted right in with our sustainability unit and included information the children needed to learn and that was relevant to the local community." - Chris, Killara Primary School.
"The presenter was efficient and covered relevant ideas. You have always been so great and will always be an excellent resource for us to access." - Rebecca, Lancefield Primary School
"I think you offer a great variety of sessions for all levels, with hands-on, relevant and engaging activities. Thank you!" - Alyssa, Rockbank Primary School
How to book
- complete an online booking form
- call 0404 865 597
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
Video: Good hygiene and keeping healthy
Join our education team and mascots Sammy and Frances as they teach primary school students how to wash their hands properly to help fight germs and keep healthy.
Video: Star meditation with Lisa and Alice
This star meditation video provides a tool for educators to refocus their students, calm their minds, and can be done at any time. For example, at the start of the day, after recess and/or lunch. It helps to improve wellbeing for everybody and it’s so easy to do.
Video: Yoga, mindfulness and the five stages of the water cycle
Yoga and Mindfulness give students a strong sense of empowerment to enhance their physical and mental wellbeing.
With clear links to the Health and Personal Capabilities Curriculum, this calming Yoga and Mindfulness session will take children on a gentle and relaxing journey whilst giving them wellbeing skills to access in their everyday lives.
We have also provided a series of fun follow-up activities and other educational videos. If students send us any completed activity, they will receive a certificate from Sammy and a chance of winning great prizes!
Please note: Not all exercise is suitable for everyone and this or any exercise program could result in injury. Please consult your doctor before embarking on this or any exercise program. To reduce the risk of injury never force or strain. We encourage you to always take care when determining your ability to the exercises that offered. If you feel pain, dizziness, do not continue. The instruction herein is not a substitute for medical attention, examination, diagnosis or treatment. The creators, producers, participants and distributors of this program disclaim any liability or loss arising out of or in connection with the services or exercises and advice herein.
What not to flush down the toilet poster
Unfortunately, there are many items that get flushed down toilets, which should be put into bins. Items such as toys, baby wipes and nappies can cause a lot of damage and over time clog up the pipes causing major problems.
Place our free poster in bathrooms to help children remember to think before they flush.
Water cycle poster
We have a free poster explaining the water cycle in an easy-to-understand way.
WATER CYCLE POSTER(620KB)
Drinking water helps us maintain good health, keep up our energy levels and be able to think clearly.
Place our free hydration poster in bathrooms to help children identify whether they are hydrated.