Spend some time with your family over the weekend exploring your local waterways and natural environments and learn about how to save water in your home.
Watch our videos, play our water themed games, complete our sustainable family water saving challenges and healthy activities, and work together to be water heroes!
We'd love to see what you create and how you get involved in National Water Week. Simply share your completed activities, artworks or experiments, either by scanning or taking a photo, and send to firstname.lastname@example.org or 0404 865 597 (please include an email address). We can’t wait to see your creations!
- Meet Western Water's education team: Alice, Alison, Sammy the Snake and Frances the Frog. Watch the video on YouTube.
- Good hygiene and keeping healthy: Join us to learn how to wash your hands properly to help fight germs and keep healthy. Watch this video on YouTube.
- Water for health: Drinking water is important. It helps us maintain good health, keeps up our energy levels and enables us to think clearly. Join Sammy the Snake to learn all about Water for Health and what goes into a sugary drink. Watch this video on YouTube.
- Water wise at home: Are you a Water Warrior or a Water Waster? Discover the many ways we use water in and around our homes, and how we can all become Water Warriors. Watch this video on YouTube.
- Exploring weather and the water cycle: Water is a precious resource and used every day in so many ways. Our clever planet is constantly recycling and renewing our water in a continual process called The Water Cycle. Watch this video on YouTube.
- How water gets to your taps, including make-your-own water filter activity: Ever wondered where our water comes from and how it is cleaned and delivered to you? Western Water proudly plays a very important role in this process. Watch this video on YouTube.
- Don’t flush it!: Watch this entertaining video to learn what not to flush down the toilet. Watch this video on YouTube.
- Yoga, mindfulness and the five stages of the water cycle: Join us to experience the water cycle through gentle yoga movements. Watch this video on YouTube.
- Star meditation: This star meditation calms the mind, and can be done at any time. It helps to improve wellbeing for everybody and it’s so easy to do. Watch this video on YouTube.
- Mind and body relaxation using yoga: Doing this short mindfulness exercise and a few simple yoga stretches throughout the day can help to relieve tension in your body and keep your mind calm and alert. You can undertake these exercises anytime. Watch this video on YouTube.
- Journey of a water droplet relaxation: Get comfortable, close your eyes, and be taken on a relaxing journey through the water cycle. Watch this video on YouTube.
- 3 minute breathing space: This 3-minute meditation is easy to learn and portable - it can be practised anywhere. Watch this video on YouTube.
- How to check for water leaks: Learn how to read your water meter to see how much water you use or to check if you have a water leak. Watch this video on YouTube.
These activities are available for the duration of the Online Learning Festival.
- Make tiny twig rafts: Make two teams in your family - each team builds a 'tiny twig raft' using twigs and brown string. Find and visit a local waterway - creek, stream, river or lake, and test your rafts - see which team's raft floats for the longest! Try to add some rocks to the rafts and see if they still float? Download the ACTIVITY SHEET(2MB).
- Enjoy your local natural environment: Take a family ride or walk to your local park or waterway. Aim to spend at least an hour each day of the weekend enjoying nature together. Research some local native plants or animals and see if you can spot them along the way.
- Sign up for WaterAid Walk for Water to make a difference to communities around the world.
- Learn about local traditional owners: Research who the local indigenous tribe/traditional owners are in your area and investigate the area of land which belongs to the traditional owners. Discuss as a family - how has our local area changed since white settlement?
- Complete our Family Healthiest Drinks Competition: Watch our Water for Health Video and start a competition to see which family member drinks the healthiest drinks over one week. Download the ACTIVITY SHEET(417KB).
- Make a healthy and hydrating snack platter: Research the most hydrating foods and make a hydrating family snack platter. Share it together at home, or pack it as a picnic to enjoy at your favourite park or nature reserve. Remember to pack your water bottles or have a glass of fresh tap water! Download the ACTIVITY SHEET(3MB).
- Local Tree Planting: Research local community tree planting groups. Make a family pledge to participate in a community tree planting day.
- Family yoga session: Watch our Yoga and Mindfulness video. Run a gentle water cycle yoga and movement class for your family or friends. Download the ACTIVITY SHEET(3MB).
- The Fight for Planet A: Over the weekend or during the week, find some time to watch 'The Fight for Planet A' on ABC iView (there are 3 episodes). Discuss How your family can make simple changes to your lifestyle to reduce your Carbon Footprint. Make a simple action plan and display it somewhere in your house to help remind you to put some of your ideas into action!
- Checking for water leaks: Watch our How to check for leaks video and follow the steps to see if there is a water leak at your house.
- Visit and explore a local waterway using your senses: Have you ever explored a local waterway? Take a walk and use your senses to observe the waterway and the surrounding environment. See what amazing things you discover and use the instructions to record your observations. Download the ACTIVITY SHEET(2MB).
- Play our card games or have a go at making one of your own: Spend some time with your family making and playing our water themed card games, or if you feel like getting creative, have a go at making some of your own!: