Skip to main content

Carting recycled water

Recycled water carters are vehicles that are registered to draw water from Greater Western Water’s recycled water supply network in the area previously serviced by Western Water.

Commercial, industrial, Council, agricultural and some residential customers may be able to access recycled water by carting it to their property using a registered recycled water carter.

The site where the water will be used must be approved by Greater Western Water in accordance with EPA guidelines and Greater Western Water's protocols. It must also be within the Greater Western Water service region and local council districts to ensures the water is supplied back to the community which supplied it.

Becoming a registered recycled water carter or renewing your permit

To apply to become a recycled water carter:

  2. A quote with payment options will be issued to you via your preferred email address as provided in the application.

Each site you cart recycled water to must have:

  • a temporary recycled water supply agreement, and:
  • a customer site management plan detailing where recycled water is to be used.

2022/23 Application fees:

New/renewed recycled water carter permit application (including one vehicle)$189.93
Each additional vehicle$38.49
Replacement recycled water carter permit sticker$17.14

Using carted recycled water

To access carted recycled water, you must have a temporary recycled water supply agreement for each site, and a customer site management plan detailing where recycled water is to be used on your site:



Identifying registered recycled water carters

Registered recycled water carters display a Greater Western Water or Western Water sticker with their permit number and expiry date.

We conduct random audits to check that water is taken and used appropriately by water carters. We also monitor standpipe sites and educate registered water carters to ensure recycled water is drawn appropriately.

If you see someone filling a vehicle without displaying this sticker they may be taking water illegally. You can report them by phoning us on 13 44 99 with their vehicle registration number.

Reporting and billing

Registered water carters are issued with an electronic key to access standpipes. The amount of water taken from the standpipe is automatically recorded and added to your account.

Greater Western Water sends a bill to recycled water carter three times per year in the area previously serviced by Western Water.

2022/23 charges:

Class A recycled water (per 1000 litres)$1.8578
Class B recycled water (per 1000 litres)$0.4395
Electronic key$30.00

Standpipe locations

Greater Western Water operates recycled water standpipes at two of our recycled water plants in the area previously serviced by Western Water:

  • Sunbury Recycled Water Plant (Class B)
  • Melton Recycled Water Plant (Class A).

The standpipes can be accessed between 7:30am and 5:00pm, Monday to Friday. Full details of standpipe locations and operating procedures are provided to registered water carters.