Class A is the highest quality of recycled water. It's supplied to residential customers for non-drinking purposes such as toilet flushing, garden watering and car washing.
Class A recycled water is also available for commercial and industrial uses, fire-fighting and public open space irrigation.
Western Water produces Class A recycled water from the Melton Recycled Water Plant.
Class A recycled water is supplied to homes in some growth areas of Melton from the Melton Recycled Water Plant.
Homes supplied with Class A recycled water have two water supply pipes; one for drinking and a purple pipe for Class A recycled water. Class A recycled water is not subject to Permanent Water Saving Rules or water restrictions.
Class A recycled water can be used for:
- flushing toilets
- watering the garden, including vegetables
- washing cars, outdoor furniture and external house cleaning
- ornamental ponds and water features
- washing clothes.
Class A recycled water cannot be used for:
- cooking or other kitchen purposes
- bathing, showering or swimming, including water play, children's water toys and filling pools.
If you have Class A recycled water at your home, you must complete an annual cross-connection check.
Benefits of using recycled water
As a recycled water customer, you are helping to create an environmentally sustainable future for Victoria.
By using recycled water, you are:
- promoting sustainability by finding suitable uses for recycled water
- decreasing demand on our precious drinking water supplies
- reducing your environmental impact by using local water resources
- protecting the environment from recycled water discharges
Other benefits include:
- recycled water can be used outdoors without restriction so you can keep your lawn and garden green at all times
- recycled water is only charged at the Tier 1 drinking water rate meaning that, unlike drinking water, higher usage will not attract higher charges.
Commercial, industrial and public spaces
Class A recycled water from the Melton Recycled Water Plant is available for commercial and industrial use, fire-fighting and public open space irrigation.
For more information click here.